home networking: easy way?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Fri Oct 1 18:23:36 UTC 2004

On October 1, 2004 2:29 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Very easy: after you have configured the shares on the Windows[tm] side
> open up nautilus (if running Gnome) or the KDE browser (if running KDE)
> and enter at the direction bar: smb://WIN_MACHINE_NAME. Quickly you will
> see the available shares the Windows[tm] host offers.

Right. Well, there are many assumptions hidden in your message, and one or
more of them is not applicable to my case.

1. Maybe "configured shared on the Windows machine" doesn't mean what I think
it does. I've gone on the administrator's account on the XP machine and
follwed the help instructions (created a folder, right-clicked, selected
"sharing", told it to share the folder on the network)

2. Maybe something more is needed on my computer. I installed samba (and swat
and samba-client) on my FC2 machine, via "yum install samba" (and the
corresponding commands for the other 2). The samba servers seem to start
(smbd and nmbd are running) and swat works. The XP machine can see me (there
is a "Samba Server (Trevor)" icon in the My Network Places) but it can not
connect to me (double clicking on that icon results in a path not found or
not reachable error or something).

3. I can't do as you say: smb://ISAAC in a Konqueror window. "Could not
connect to host for smb://isaac/"

Any ieas about where I should start looking?

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com