FC2 hd devices swap ids

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Fri Oct 1 23:11:19 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I had strange occurance involving a hard drive and the cd device swapping identifications.

I used an old 800mhz e-machine we had laying around to create a backup server
using rsync.

I installed FC2 and updated it to the latest rpms. I created a raid1 (mirroring) device
for the rysnc backups to live in. Two 60GB drives contain the backup raid device
(md2). They were hda and hdd. The cd-drive in the system was hdc.

I got it all configured and everything during testing was working great. I had rebooted
it a few times and everything came up working great. I powered it down, picked
it up and moved it to its home in our server room from my office. When it came back
up, /proc/mdstat showed one of the mirrors kicked out.

Going through messagges, I noticed that the cd-crive and hdd had swapped designations.
The cd drive is now hdd and the 2nd disk drive is hdc.

I used mdadm and added the 2nd mirror back in and it synced up fine. I rebooted the system
to see if it would swap again and everything came back up fine with the 2nd mirror still
hdc.

I thought maybe the cd-drive had gone bad and popped a few cds in to see if they
worked and they all work as expected.

Anyone have any idea why the 2nd drive and the cd-drive might have swapped
designations like that? All I did was power it down and carry it maybe 30 ft.

It's the first time I've seen this happen in about 10-12 FC2 installs.

Any input appreciated,

Mike