What is system-config-mouse supposed to do?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Oct 2 15:01:05 UTC 2004

Yang Xiao wrote:

>> I tried system-config-mouse on a couple of computers,
>> but it didn't appear to change xorg.conf ,
>> even though I changed my choice of mouse.
>> The change worked during the current session,
>> but had disappeared when I logged in again.
>>
>> Have I misunderstood the purpose of this command?

> it changes the /etc/sysconfig/mouse file which is read by gpm.
> man gpm.

Isn't that slightly crazy?
I mean, the command should be called system-config-mouse-gpm
or something like that,
if it is not meant to affect the way 99% of users use their mouse.

Is there any system-config command, or any command,
to change the mouse settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?
The Control Panel mouse item does not seem to have any way
to change the actual mouse in use.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366