upgrading from FC1 to FC2 with yum!

W. Guy Thomas mrguytx at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 2 20:14:59 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>W. Guy Thomas wrote:
>

>>>Wow, this doesn't look good. It has completely stopped after the first
>>>package libgcc. No disk activity, no nic activity.
>>>

>>In you opinion do I let it sit or is my upgrade completely dead and my
>>system hosed?
>>It has been this way for about 20 minutes...
>>

>I've no idea of the cause of this.
>But as a matter of interest, what yum command did you give?
>
>Had you run "yum update" under FC-1?> >
>
>I'm not a yum expert,
>but I do wonder if one runs "yum update"
>just before a new Fedora distribution,
>are there likely to be many more rpm updates involved?

I killed the process. Am starting over. Cleaned out the /var/cache/yum folder.

Logged out and started a fresh terminal with ctrl-alt-f1.
"yum upgrade" running again.

the reason I am doing this is because the cdrom is dead in this laptop,
and when I smbmount a cd to do an upgrade from my XP machine, Fedora
freaks out when I have to swap cd's. So this is my only choice.

The FC2 distro doesn't have the same bootable floppies that FC1 has so I
can't use that. Otherwise I'd just nuke the whole laptop and install a
fresh FC2 from a network floppy and FTP it.

Fun fun. Looks like another few hours here.

Guess I'll go get a 6 pack. Better yet, a 12 pack.

Later.

=G