upgrading from FC1 to FC2 with yum!

W. Guy Thomas mrguytx at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 3 02:19:56 UTC 2004

W. Guy Thomas wrote:

>>> Well, the interesting thing is. I blew up my original FC1 last night
>>> during the attempted upgrade, not sure what happened, but the system
>>> was hosed and would only start to boot, then just die.
>>> So I had to do a fresh FC1 install since I can only use FC1 because
>>> of the regular floppy boot disks.
>>> then start the upgrade process.
>>> so it's on a fresh hard drive with bare/basic FC1. OSS isn't even
>>> installed yet.
>>>
>>> downloading all the packages (second attempt) now.
>>>
>>> poor little laptop...lol...
>>>
>>> but with fluxbox on it it really is a nice little ride.
>>>
>>> will update soon, should be getting to testing consistencies in a
>>> little while...
>>>
>> 2nd attempt blew up with not enough space.
>> so I edited yum.conf and pointed only to "base", not "extras"...
>> going round the 3rd time...
>> at least in about an hour I can put my daughter to bed and try some
>> concentration for a change.
>>
>> lol
>>
>> =G
>>
> I meant "updated", not "extras"
> Man I hope this works, I miss my linux box.
> This XP crap is so boring.
>
> The wireless router is up though. And the wife's laptop screams at 54g
> wireless. Cool.
>
> ok, I'll stop updating the mailer. just needed a bit of feedback.
> take care.
>
> =G

well, it died again with a drive space issue.

here's a new question but I'm keeping it in this thread since it's ongoing.

I have a USB cdrom drive. I know Fedora will recognize it. But how do I
tell  Fedora to boot from this device?
When I boot now it just goes to FC1, but I need to tell grub to boot to
the cd.

It's hooked up live on the USB port.

This should be the fix. But how?

Thanks guys.