upgrading from FC1 to FC2 with yum!

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sun Oct 3 03:34:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 21:19 -0500, W. Guy Thomas wrote:
> well, it died again with a drive space issue.

Yes, you would need quite a lot of free disk space to do an upgrade.
It's not wise to "yum upgrade" from FC1 to FC2 anyway as I believe the
document you were reading mentions.  Anaconda really needs to run to
properly upgrade even though it may seem to work well enough using yum.

> here's a new question but I'm keeping it in this thread since it's ongoing.
>
> I have a USB cdrom drive. I know Fedora will recognize it. But how do I
> tell  Fedora to boot from this device?
> When I boot now it just goes to FC1, but I need to tell grub to boot to
> the cd.

You can't really boot the CD from GRUB.  But, as someone else suggested,
you can copy the FC2 installer files to /boot then boot the installer
from the hard disk.

This will work provided FC2 detects your USB CD-ROM drive:
  http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-October/msg00266.html

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/