Re: apt-get problem

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 22:01, Reg Clemens wrote:
> Ive used apt-get in the past, but not recently.
> I maintain a local copy of the fedora2 archive, and do a
>
>     genbasedir $TOP  os updates
>
> after each update.
>
> my /etc/apt/sources.list file has the line
>
>     rpm ftp://orion apt/fedora2/ updates
>
> in it, which was the only uncommented line in the past.
>
> So, Im missing something, as now I get the error message:
>
>     [reg orion apt]$ apt-get update
>     Fetching list of repositories/mirrors...
>     /var/state/apt/mirrors.list.new: Permission denied
>     E: Failed to fetch mirror list file:
>
> What is this trying to tell me?

That you need to be root to run apt.

Also since you're using a local repository you can put
Apt::State::FirstRun "false";
to /etc/apt/apt.conf to prevent it from asking you to select the
preferred repository mirror on the first (successful) run.

Oh and you need to use --bloat option with genbasedir for FC/RHEL/RHL
repositories, otherwise it's going to be a rather broken repository
because some file dependencies can't be matched.

	- Panu -