Starting Samba on Fedora 2

Paul C D Dann paul at crowpot.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 16:11:04 UTC 2004

On Saturday 02 Oct 2004 14:03, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 02.10.2004 schrieb Paul C D Dann um 13:12:
> > I have Fedora 2 Installed on 2 different machines.  I can't find a way of
> > starting samba except by opening System Setting/Server Settings/Samba,
> > then clicking Preferences/Server Settings, and clicking OK - smbd and
> > nmbd are then seen to be running.  Entering "smbd" either as user or root
> > (which I've used  in the past)  results in  "command not found" .
> >
> > Paul D
>
> Besides "chkconfig", which Robert already named, for setting up Samba in
> the desired runlevels see "man service". "service smb start" will start
> it, "service smb stop" will stop the Samba server.
>
> Alexander
chkconfig worked fine but only after I had logged on as root, rather than as
Super user from my normal logon.  In the second case, I got "command not
found".  I had also found this happened with ifconfig.  This doesn't happen
with Mandrake which I had been using previously.

There was no "man service" file, and a service command (even when logged on as
root) gave "command not found" - but having used chkdsk, Samba started on
reboot so I no longer had a problem.

Paul D