new kernel 2.6 and USB (hid) error

I upgraded my kernel this morning to 2.6 from 2.4 and can't get into X because it won't find the mouse.
This is a laptop with a built in pointing device, no external mouse.
This is the error during boot:

"error running install command for hid"

then it can't find the keyboard or mouse, thus no X.

I tried the only fix I could find from google:

I edited /etc/modprobe.conf and changed

alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci

alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

This did not fix the problem.
I can still boot to the old kernel and get into X just fine.

Any ideas here?

Thanks.

=G