Fixed: How do I mount a ntfs filesystem?

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Sun Oct 3 23:02:24 UTC 2004

Greetings ,

Søren Neigaard wrote:
> I found out, I needed to install a rpm

The think about NTFS ( if you prefer New Technology File System, well it
was new when it was introduced back in 1995 ( i recall it with Windows
NT 3.5 it could be even older though , the "old" was File Allocation
Table , also known as FAT  ) is that it is not supported by
default by any Redhat Linux flavour i have ever seen  because the proper
driver ( module ) was not compiled with the  kernel .
   So all that has to be done is to compile the extra module in order to
support the reading of an NTFS file system ( writing , to the best of my
knowledge is still dangerous !!! ) and then insert it to the kernel with
the help of the insmod command .
    I don't know which rpm you installed . It's function though was to
insert the proper module to the kernel. Rick Stevens a member of the
Redhat-Install mailling list and i think this one has a web page
( www.rhil.net/kernelstuff/modules.html ) which provides both the
modules and the instructions you have to follow in order to use them ,
so you can read / or even read and write on an NTFS file system .

Kind Regards,
    Kostas