new kernel 2.6 and USB (hid) error

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 23:21:14 UTC 2004

W. Guy Thomas wrote:
> I upgraded my kernel this morning to 2.6 from 2.4 and can't get into X
> because it won't find the mouse.
> This is a laptop with a built in pointing device, no external mouse.

then later:

> This didn't work.
>
> And I'm not at FC2 just yet but hope to be by tonite.

Well, it's probably a bit late by now, but check /etc/X11/XF86.conf for
Section "InputDevice" where it says Identifier "Mouse", and change
the Device to /dev/input/mice .

This then probably won't work with 2.4: you might want a bit of
scripting to choose the "right" XF86.conf at boot depending on the
kernel version.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Important note: when washing your brain out with
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | nitric acid, it is important to stop *after* you've