could you help interpret my logs?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 23:48:00 UTC 2004

Randy Kelsoe wrote:
> I also had an attempt last week that tried to login as root, admin,
> test, and guest, then tried unsuccessfully to login as root 3,415 times.
> I have the "PermitRootLogin no" set in my /etc/ssh/sshd_config  file, so
> they should not be able to get in even if they do guess the root password.

Good advice. I like using the AllowGroups or AllowUsers directives so
that only listed user accounts can log on. *All* the system accounts
will be barred. (Not that any of them should have a valid password
anyway, but there you go...)

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Isn't air travel wonderful?  Breakfast in London,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | dinner in New York, luggage in Brazil."