Re: Zombie Processes

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 19:13, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:

> Hello,
> > I have several zombie processes but don't know how to determine who > they belong to. I have 3 each of [c++filt] and

[addr2line]. They won't kill.

> > TIA

Have you tried Kill -9 ?

Hello,

Yes, it didn't kill it (them).  I'd like to find out whats causing them as
well.  Has to be something broken.  I can reboot and they are there as fast
as I can login and do a ps ax.

You can't kill a Zombie process--it's already dead (hence the cute name). You need to identify the parent process that's spawning them and kill that, after which they will get an init 8 and exit.

Try a ps -AT (all processes, threaded), to see if you can figure out the parent that's spawning them.