Help on native language display

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Mon Oct 4 08:18:08 UTC 2004

Cao,

Bao Cao wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>    I just started to enjoy FC2, my only problem is
> that I can't view any website with Chinese characters.
> They all are just squares with 4 numeric digits on
> those squares. Could anybody please show me how to
> deal with it? Thanks!

What webbrowser do you use? Mozilla? If so, could you change
Character encoding via

    View->Character Encoding->Chinese Tradiational (Big-5)

Does this look better now?

Did you install more languages than english with FC2? If
so, what is the output of

   echo $LC_ALL

and

   echo $LANG

Every now and then I need to start sylpheed to read and write
mails in japanese, and for this to work I run the following
script on a "german" FC2 installation:

apprich at kidd apprich $ cat ~/bin/sylpheed
#!/bin/sh
export LC_ALL=ja_JP
export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
export XMODIFIERS='@im=kinput2'
kinput2 -canna &
/usr/bin/sylpheed

I know you can't use canna because it's for japanese but maybe
it gives you an idea where to start. Maybe you just need to modify
$LANG and $LC_ALL...

Hth a lil.

> Best,
>  Cao