Thunderbird 0.8 questions

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 12:48:29 UTC 2004

Adam Boettiger wrote:
> Right now I have it in USR/LOCAL/THUNDERBIRD

One quick largely unrelated point that no-one else has mentioned:

Unix is case sensitive. That's a completely different directory to
usr/local/thunderbird. Changing the case of files in text is a bad idea
in any language: you'll often see experienced users starting sentences
like this:

su changes your credentials...

even in English, where that's not allowed normally.

OK, one more point. /USR/LOCAL/THUNDERBIRD is possibly a different
directory again. Without the slash at the beginning, it's USR/...
relative to your current directory, which is quite possibly /home/adam
by default. So you'd get /home/adam/USR/LOCAL/THUNDERBIRD. With the
slash, it's always relative to /, the "root" of the directory tree.

Keeping these concepts clear should help you find your way around
Fedora.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | The sendmail configuration file is one of those
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | files that looks like someone beat their head on