what is the limitation wine

Pasha e97665728 at 013.net
Mon Oct 4 14:01:26 UTC 2004

Rajiv wrote:

> Dear All,
>     What is the limitation of wine. Can I use wine for applications
> like smartdraw,Microsoft word,etc. Is there any alternative to wine?

You probably won't be able to run MS Office applications with wine
only.  You may have more success if you set it up to use existing
windows partition data. The better way is to use commercial applications
based on wine - Crossover Office (www.codeweavers.com) and cedega
(www.transgaming.com). Crossover Office gives support for MS Office and
many other windows applications, cedega has DirectX implementation and
used to run games.
Alternatives to wine would be VMware and Win4Lin. They allow you to run
a windows OS (Win4Lin allows only Win95/98) on a hardware emulation.