continuous disk activity from GNOME

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 5 11:20:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 06:00, Danny Yee wrote:
> I have a Fedora Core 1 system which is generating disk activity every
> 5 seconds or so, even when it should be idle.  (The hard drive light
> flashes, then there's a quiet whir followed by a "chuck" -- presumably
> the drive spinning up and then engaging.)
>
> If I quit GNOME this activity goes away.
>
> Is this normal?  Is there any way to stop it (it can't be good for
> the drive)?
>
> Dann.

Out of curiosity is this a laptop?  I have never noticed a drive
spinning down in normal use on a desktop machine.  Is it possible you
are having a drive problem?  Take a look at smartctl to test the drive.
Also check /var/log/messages.

Other than that, does ps -efw show you anything out of the ordinary?
Does the problem happen for all gnome users?  If not what's different?

Bob...