Re: Fedora Core 2 boot problems / [Question] boot without initrd?

Darren Coleman wrote:
[snip]
Whenever I attempt to boot the system, it loads the GRUB loader and gives me
the option to select the kernel I want to boot (obviously only one
available), then shows the following:

Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)'

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=/dev/hda2
   [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x1235b7]
initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
   [Linux-initrd @ 0x2ffb2000, 0x2d9b1 bytes]

..and that's it.

No "Uncompressing the kernel".. nothing.. just a flashing cursor.
[snip]

Now, I'm not really very knowledgeable about the boot process, but I was wondering if booting without an initrd would make sense here. It looks to me like some module in the initrd dies, and maybe OP's kernel would be "big" enough to handle it with what's compiled in. Would someone more enlightened please tell me if I make any sense? :)

//Andro

--
Andrey Andreev
University of Helsinki