question on broken links

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Oct 5 14:34:05 UTC 2004

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is a way to fix broken links. When you to an ls
> it shows them in Red background with white letters. I just installed a
> program, and it didn't work. It said a file was missing, but I found the
> file, but it was a link that was pointing to a non-existing file. I redid
> the link to the file that was there with the newer number, and it them
> worked find. I've also seen other broken links, but rather than trying
> to find them one by one.

If the files you're referring to were actually libraries (e.g.
/usr/lib/libxyz.so.1.2.3) then the links are usually kept up to date by
running ldconfig; however, this is usually done as part of the installation
process for the RPM containing that library (a script inside the RPM) and
hence you shouldn't need to do it yourself.

Paul.