Problem with my external CD-Rom

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Oct 5 15:04:03 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 05.10.2004 schrieb Dellacherie Stephane um 15:24:

> If my external usb cd-rom is connected when I boot my laptop, there is
> no problem to mount and do umount my cd-rom.
>
> But, if I boot my laptop and if, *after*, I connect  my usb external
> cd-rom, it is impossible to mount the cd-rom.
>
> What happends ? Is there something to change in the files /etc/fstab or
> /etc/mtab ?

Don't touch the /etc/mtab!

> Stéph

Add to your /etc/fstab a line

/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

where of course the device (first column) must fit your environment and
the mountpoint (second column) too. If unsure check these values when
you had the drive already connected at boot time and you mounted the
drive, then run "mount" to see drive and mountpoint used.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 17:00:58 up 5 days, 19:27, load average: 0.64, 0.41, 0.28