Anti-Virus Software ?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Oct 5 17:42:48 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 05.10.2004 schrieb Satish Balay um 19:22:

> Getting stuck in the 'Windows-Anti-Virus' abstraction for linux
> security is a bad thing. (for that matter - it isn't sufficient even
> for windows - i.e - antivirus software isn't a substitute for 'Windows
> Update fixes')
>
> You might want to check out 'chkrootkit' - a took that can check for
> some of the hack-ins for linux.
>
> Satish

Yes, the problem that too much Linux systems are already in a bad
constitution while running full time with internet connection is a fact.
And many of these bastions are already hacked and owned by foreign
people. We actually see that by those SSH connection attempts we nearly
all face since some months. I was astonished to see how many of the
boxes from where my systems got the login trials are Redhat systems. I
did not carefully count them, but I guess 80% of those I run nmap
against were older Redhats :( And these portscans quickly offered that
obviously these systems never had seen security updates (visible by the
version numbers of the OpenSSH daemon i.e. or of the Apache or the mail
daemons).

As long users do not recognize which basic security actions are needed -
this means i.e. security update installs both on Linux as well on
Windows[tm] system as early as they are available - there will be no
tools ever able to prevent remote computer misuse, destruction or
stealing of personal data.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 19:30:22 up 5 days, 21:56, load average: 0.21, 0.42, 0.59