Internal vs external domain addressing

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Oct 5 18:57:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 19:47, antonio.nunes at lifefoundation.plus.com
wrote:
> On Tue Oct  5 19:40 , Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> sent:
>
> >On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 19:08, antonio.nunes at lifefoundation.plus.com
> >wrote:
> >> [...]How can I configure our BIND server (FC2) so that we can use the
> >> same address regardless of where we are sending from? Can I make settings so that
> >> "machine.ourdomain.com" is recognised on the internet, or do I need to contact our ISP for
> >> that?
> >
> >Does your domain have lots of names in it (is it a complex zone file)?
>
> It's a simple zone file containing only settings for our internet server.
>
> >Is your machine a registered nameserver for your domain on the Internet,
> >or is it only providing DNS for your network, with another ISP providing
> >the "official" DNS servers for the domain?
>
> The machine is not a registered nameserver, it provides DNS for the network and our ISP does provide the "official"
> DNS servers.

The easiest solution then is just to configure your nameserver to be a
master for the ourdomain.com domain, and include machine.ourdomain.com
as an A record in the zone in addition to all the entries you have on
the "official" nameservers. Your LAN clients will get back answers from
your nameserver (which knows about machine.ourdomain.com) and the rest
of the Internet will get back answers from the official nameservers
(which won't recognise machine.ourdomain.com). Just be sure to keep your
private version of the zone in sync with the official one when you make
changes.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>