Anti-Virus Software ?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Oct 5 19:02:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 02:21:35PM -0300, Trevor Smith wrote:
> People will set up their systems to always run as root and they'll
> gravitate toward programs (because of the flash they provide) that allow
> integration of apps (read: insecurity), etc.

That's why the Fedora Core-based distribution I work on doesn't present a
full X environment when one logs in as root -- instead, it gives you the
user manager, with basic instructions on how to add a real user account.

And, we've modified the user manager to make it easy to add the new user
account to the wheel group, which gives sudo privledges and access to
administrative apps via consolehelper/usermode. Not perfect, but it makes it
so that compromise between security and actually using the machine falls
more easily on the more secure side of the fence.