wireless

Eric Tanguy eric.tanguy at physique.univ-nantes.fr
Tue Oct 5 20:49:49 UTC 2004

Le mar 05/10/2004 à 22:21, Scot L. Harris a écrit :
> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 13:55, Eric Tanguy wrote:
>
> > Thanks lspci give nothing about usb devices.
> > So i have 2 solutions and i don't how to choose :
> > * Use prism54 driver which seems to be quiet difficult to install and
> > run for a newbie like me.
> > * Use ndiswrapper and windows driver which works (i'm connected by this
> > device to write this mail) but have a lot of problem of lost connection
> > mainly due, i think, because i run a 4K kernel and windows driver need
> > 12K stack. So if i want ndiswrapper working better, i have to change
> > kernel, sourcecode and reinstalled what i used compiled (i'm not sure
> > but i think only nvidia driver, ndiswrapper and maybe kernel-ntfs rpm
> > which is built for 4k kernel ??)
> > Really i don't know what to choose ...
> > Eric
>
> Sounds like it is going to be a lot of work either way you go.  I would
> suggest that you try the prism54 driver first.  It looks daunting at
> first but I think they have upgraded it since I installed it so it may
> be easier now that previously.
>
> This keeps you from having to run a custom kernel on your system which I
> think is a good thing.
>
> If you find the prism54 driver less than acceptable then you can always
> fall back to building a custom kernel and maintaining that setup.

I think you're right but my only problem is that i'm not sure prism54
driver support my hardware. My device is not listed as supported one and
if the prism54 driver is based idVendor and idProduct it could be not
work. I don't know how to know the chip in it ? And as far as i
understand prism54 driver is also based on firmware (*.arm file) and i
can't find this kind of file in my windows installation. So this could
be work for none ...
Eric