Using windows-software under Fedora

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 00:02:26 UTC 2004

H.T. Petter wrote:
> This notebook is my "main-computer" which i also have to use for my
> education. Is there a possibility to use the following
> windows-software in fedora ( And i mean IN Fedora, not keeping windows
> in a dual-boot configuration)
> Solidworks 2003
> Maple 8
> Matlab
> Mathcad 2001

Um. There are Linux versions of some of these.

http://www.maplesoft.com/products/maple/student/95sysreq_stu.shtml
http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/requirements.html

They won't necessarily be cheap, but they do exist.

Unfortunately, Solidworks equivalent page,
http://www.solidworks.com/pages/services/SystemRequirements.html , is
full of MS/Intel FUD, so there's not much hope there. And the Mathcad
page says that the latest version needs the .NET framework: there may be
the possibility at some point of running it on Mono instead, but I don't
think I'd recommend that to you at this point in time.

James.

(Maple, at least, always has been good at cross-platform compatibility:
I was running it on Irix and Windows eight years ago.)

--
E-mail address: james | Anonymous:          What do you think of Stainer's
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |                     "Crucifixion"?