Custom Kernels

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 6 15:48:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 11:10, Wayne Leutwyler wrote:

> Thanks Scot these are all good points. There is no real machine I am doing
> this on, its more of something I was wondering.
>
> Maybe I did not ask my question correctly.
>
> Are there any benefits from building a custom kernel, aside from a smaller
> kernel and smaller modules foot print.

About the only benefits I can think of is possibly smaller kernel size
(assuming you eliminate drivers and modules you don't need or use).  I'm
not even sure this will get you that much.  I would have expected to see
floppy based 2.6 kernels if enough space could be squeezed out of it to
make it fit.  I think the only solutions for a floppy based boot may be
boot strapping from a 2.4 kernel but I am just guessing about that.

Aside from being a good learning experience I don't know that it will
buy you that much.  Not to say that under certain circumstances it could
be the right thing to do.
--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"Take that, you hostile sons-of-bitches!"
-- James Coburn, in the finale of _The_President's_Analyst_