networking issues

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Oct 6 16:34:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 01:07:40AM -0700, Min Chien Lim wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have installed FC3T2 on a x86 system in a dhcp network.  I have the
> following problems
>
> 1.  "ypmatch <system> hosts" returns NIS internal error.  dommainname
> command returns the expected domain.
Is the ypbind service running on the client machine (and of course
ypserv on the server)?
Also, NIS requires portmap, and the ports used by portmap and nis should
of course be opened in your firewall.
I think it is a portmapper or firewall issue; if the server is not running
or unreachable, the usual error is "YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound"

> 2.  I cannot telnet from another host to this system but I can ssh to
> it.  Also, I can telnet to the outside world with no problems.  I
> also seem to be missing a important file /usr/sbin/in.telnetd though
> I don't know what it does.

First: do you really want telnet? By default, Fedora install ssh which
can do everything telnet can, but more secure (telnet transmits username
and password unencrypted over the network).
But if you really need telnet, install the package 'telnet-server' that
is available in Fedora (install from cd, or 'up2date telnet-server), and
enable the telnet service ('chkconfig telnet on').
Next, open the telnet port (23/tcp) in your firewall, probably only for
trusted hosts on your local network.

David Jansen