how to learn linux!?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 16:53:32 UTC 2004

louis wang wrote:
>  I am a beignner to learn Linux, who can finger out one way to help me !!

Play with it, try to do normal stuff, get stuck, Google to see if you
can find the answer, think about it, and if you can't work it out, ask
us.

Learn how to use yum, up2date or apt. Make sure you keep your system
current.

Read some of the stuff at tldp.org:
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO/ is good.

http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html looks a reasonable
introduction to the text side of things, although you probably *need* to
know very little of this.

Read lwn.net. A subscription would be nice, but not essential. You don't
have to read everything (the kernel stuff is *not* aimed at beginners),
but the standard of journalism is very high, and they are very good at
making things simple. It will also give you an idea of what people are
doing with their systems.

Look at the Linux basics part of
http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Reading-List-HOWTO/b80.html

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | I must refute the rumour that one of our team members
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | walks on water. Although it's true that Barry Cryer