Using windows-software under Fedora

H.T. Petter Groktor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 22:18:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 12:59:08 -0600, Robin Laing
<robin.laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> Sebastiaan Waanders wrote:
> >>A nice alternative for Matlab would be Octave [1]. However, there is a
> >>linux-build for Matlab. This is not free software, however...
> >>
> >>Good luck, and if you find some more alternatives...
> >>
> >>regards,
> >>-sebastiaan
> >>

> > whoops... here's the link: http://www.octave.org
> >

> This is another one that I couldn't think of at the time.
>
> Do a bit of googling and you may find what you need.
>
> Where I work, we are looking more and more to open source.  It ensures
> that any work we do will be able to be accessed in the future.
>
> --
> Robin Laing

Thanks for all the replies.
Although i also think open source programs have certain (mayor)
benifits, i'm not sure if using alternatives to the programs that i
have listed is a good idea. Because most of the time i'm not working
alone, but working with other people that still use the ' original '
software, provided by the faculty. So i have to make sure that i stay
100 % compatible with the others. So I'll try VMware and the others
first.

Speaking of compatibility, Microsoft Word - files. I've read some
things on the internet about this * wonderful * format. Is it true
that only Microsoft Office can read .doc files, or can for example
OpenOffice or StarOffice also use these files ( and by using i mean :
Can I read my fellow-student's files, and can they read mine? )

Harm-Tido