Problem with my external CD-Rom

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 6 22:39:39 UTC 2004

On Oct 6, 2004 at 18:24, Dellacherie Stephane in a soothing rage wrote:
[...]
>>>Don't touch the /etc/mtab!

>>>Add to your /etc/fstab a line
>>>
>>>/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
>>>noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>>

>> I think he should not add 'kudzu' as the next time he reboots
>> without the cdrom attached the line will be removed from fstab.
>> ... or I might be mistaken.
>
>> N.Emile...
>
>You are right Emile : I sould not add 'kudzu'.
>
>Nevertheless, the command line
>
>/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
>
>does not work. Indeed, the file /dev/cdrom does not exists.
>
>Remember that my usb cd-rom is an external cdrom and not an internal cdrom ... .
>
>Moreover, when I put this line in /etc/fstab, I cannot mount the usb
>external cd-rom even when it is connected before the boot.
>
>Fortunately, by removing the previous line "/dev/cdrom ..." from the
>/etc/fstab file, everything is ok.
>
>So, up to now, I cannot solve my problem discribed at the beginning
>of this message.
I would attach the cdrom before booting with a cdrom in it.
Then boot linux. This should add the correct line to your
/etc/fstab. Edit the fstab file and remove 'kudzu' from the
line. Hopefully this should work in future.

N.Emile...
All the simple programs have been written.
18:35:30  up 100 days, 11:50,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00