WinTV-Go and XDMCP

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 7 10:30:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 06:07, KANE Aaron wrote:
> All,
>
> <snip>
>
> So it is a BT878 based TV card which is working out of the box with
> Fedora Core 2. You do not say whether you now get a TV picture using
> tvtime or xawtv. If not, did you scan for channels? "xawtv -hwscan"
> will
> list you the card if it can be used. If not, check which modules are
> loaded with "lsmod" and very important check your /etc/modprobe.conf.
>
> </snip>
>
> So, I open up TVtime and get a blue screen that reports 'no signal'  I
> then scan for channels, change my format and scan channels all without
> any luck.  xamtv is not installed as part of FC2 (that I can find) so
> I haven't run that command.  I have been using TVTime and updating
> throught the command menu mostly.
>
> The other data requested is below.
>
> Thanks again,
>
>     ~Aaron
>
> [root at localhost akane]# /sbin/lsmod
>
> Module Size Used by
>
> snd_pcm_oss 46201 0
>
> snd_pcm 81733 1 snd_pcm_oss
>
> snd_page_alloc 12233 1 snd_pcm
>
> snd_timer 25157 1 snd_pcm
>
> nfs 161917 1
>
> lockd 53513 2 nfs
>
> tuner 20697 0
>
> bttv 139725 0
>
> video_buf 20293 1 bttv
>
> i2c_algo_bit 11337 1 bttv
>
> v4l2_common 8897 1 bttv
>
> btcx_risc 7625 1 bttv
>
> i2c_core 21185 3 tuner,bttv,i2c_algo_bit
>
> videodev 10944 1 bttv
>
> sr_mod 17509 0
>
> snd_mixer_oss 17985 1 snd_pcm_oss
>
> snd 47397 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
>
> soundcore 10785 1 snd
>
> parport_pc 24577 1
>
> lp 12461 0
>
> parport 36489 2 parport_pc,lp
>
> autofs4 20165 1
>
> sunrpc 128805 5 nfs,lockd
>
> 3c59x 36201 0
>
> ipt_REJECT 8897 0
>
> ipt_state 5569 0
>
> ip_conntrack 30929 1 ipt_state
>
> iptable_filter 6209 1
>
> ip_tables 18497 3 ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
>
> microcode 10209 0
>
> dm_mod 49477 0
>
> joydev 11009 0
>
> uhci_hcd 30553 0
>
> radeon 114245 2
>
> md5 7745 1
>
> ipv6 233701 14
>
> ext3 99497 2
>
> jbd 58457 1 ext3
>
> aic7xxx 145145 3
>
> sd_mod 20801 4
>
> scsi_mod 102025 3 sr_mod,aic7xxx,sd_mod
>
> [root at localhost akane]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> alias eth0 3c59x
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
>
> alias char-major-81 bttv
>
> alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
>
> options bttv card=64 tuner=28
>
> alias char-major-81 bttv

Aaron,

Where did you get the card and tuner options?  According to the
cardlist(s), card=64 is a ATI TV-Wonder VE and tuner=28 is a LG
PAL_BG+FM (TPI8PSB01D).  I don't think these are correct for the WinTv
Go.  Remove those lines from modprobe.conf and delete the duplicate
alias char-major-81 line.

IIRC the WinTV card I have at home is the same as yours and required no
special options in modprobe.conf.  Currently, it's not installed so I
cannot check it (lspci).

As to the XDMCP issues:  It's possible that tvtime will not run
remotely, if that is your intent.  xawtv has (or had) a remote option,
but at the time I tried it only video was redirected sound stayed at the
host executing xawtv.  Not very useful for remote TV watching.

Bob...

Bob...