Samba general question

Wayne Leutwyler wleutwyl at columbus.rr.com
Thu Oct 7 10:54:12 UTC 2004

On Oct 6, 2004, at 11:13 PM, Gordon Charrick wrote:

> I've been trying to share my printer that is connected to my linux
> computer to my bf's windows xp machine. The two computers are
> connected (by wireless) to a linksys router so they're on the same
> subnet. There isn't a chance the router could be blocking the
> connection, is there? The wireless is running on eth1 and I can ping
> from one machine to the other.
>
> I also have vmware running on my linux machine so I can do tests
> locally. When I run "net view \\gmc" on my vmware guest I get a list
> of shares and can connect to the printer and see the files in the
> "testshare" share. If I run the same comand on my bf's computer I get
> access denied. It's not firewall related because I'm testing it with
> no rules set.
>
> I'm including my smb.conf below.
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = HOME
>         interfaces = eth1 vmnet1
>         bind interfaces only = yes
>         load printers = yes
>         printing = cups
>         printcap name = cups
>         guest account = smbprint
>         domain master = no
>         local master = yes
>         preferred master = yes
>         os level = 65
> [testshare]
>         comment = test path to tmp
>         path =/tmp
>         browseable = yes
>         guest ok = yes
>         writable = no
> [printers]
>         comment = Linux printer
>         path = /home/smbprint
>         browseable = yes
>         public = yes
>         guest ok = yes
>         writable = yes
>         printable = yes
>         printer admin = root
>         use client driver = yes
>

> --
> Gordon Charrick
> gordonmc at cox.net
>
> --

I had some problems with printers at one time. After some research I
found a solution that worked. I hope this works for you. Below you will
find my printers section of my smb.conf

[printers]
          comment = All Printers
          path = /var/spool/samba
          browseable = no
          public = yes
          guest ok = yes
          writable = no
          printable = yes
          create mode = 0700
          print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
          lpq command = lpstat -o %p
          lprm command = cancel %p-%j

Wayne Leutwyler, RHCT
http://linux.is-a-geek.net
Open Source + Open Minds = Open Solutions