error "respawning too fast" on Toshiba Protege 7200

Here is an error that I receive on my Toshiba Protege 7200 (with dock/dvd)
when I "up2date" everything...

"init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes."

I have tried several things, but I cannot seem to get this error to go away...

1) How do you stop linux from booting into the GUI and go into Command Line mode?

2) How do I searchout this error and fix it?
     a) How do I find out what is causing the problem (hardware, or what?)?
     b) What settings can I change to fix it?

Thanks all!

--E