Moving Along with Fedora!

Mike Noble mgnoble at cox.net
Thu Oct 7 18:55:27 UTC 2004

David Mamanakis wrote:
> Greetings!
> I know most of you really might not care, but I thought I would introduce
> myself, and ask a question or two...
> I am David Mamanakis, I live in S. Ogden, UT and I worked for Microsoft for 6
> years, dealing mostly with the Operating Systems...
>
> Currently I have decided that I am sick of it...Longhorn, the next version of
> Microsquat Bloatware, is just too much...
> I have decided to move on with other options, and I came across Fedora.
>
> Currently I have it installed on 2 of my 6 machines, and with both machines,
> it is the primary OS (no Windows installed).
> These machines are a Dell Percision 220 (dual proc) and my old laptop, Toshiba
> Protege 7200.
>
> I am preping another 2 machines to run Linux/Windows XP dual boot.
>
> Because I have limited exposure to Unix/Linux I would like to ask a question
> about the directory structure of Linux...
> When I installed, I used the "auto setup" thing, and let it have at it...
> Now I have all kinds of directories like "\" and "\root" and "\usr"...
>
> What I would like to know, and feel free to mail me directly, or point me to a
> web resource, but I would like to know the windows equivelent of the linux
> directories...
> C:\ = ??? in linux system
> C:\Windows = ??? in linux
> C:\Program Files = ??? in linux
> etc...
> or better yet, run it backwards...
> \ = ??? in windows system
> \root = ??? in windows
> \usr = ??? in windows
>
> This would help me navigate and get comfortable with the new system...
>
> I have other questions, but one thing at a time...
>
> Thanks for any help, and I look forward to becoming part of the Linux community!
>
> --E

Basically, you can say / in Linux is the same as C: in windows.
The difference between windows and UNIX/Linux is the use of
file systems and the mounting (usage) of those file systems.
Windows does not allow you to have a separate file system
(hard disk partition) mounted within the existing C: drive.
Where under UNIX/Linux you can break up the / drive into
multiple file systems each with it's own file system (hard
drive partition).  Example:
You can have Linux setup as one big file system: / = /dev/hda1.
Now lets assume that your hard drive is not big enough for
your entire system including home.  You can now add another
disk to your system and setup as /home  = /dev/hdb1
As far as Linux is concerned the new drive is a part of the
overall system.
Windows does not allow you to add another disk as say C:/windows
where C: is a completely different partition.

HTH
Mike
--
Usenix member  http://www.usenix.org