OT: spammers are using my domain again

Phillip T. George me at PhillipGeorge.com
Fri Oct 8 05:39:01 UTC 2004

Trevor,

Its hard to say really.  I'd like to think that in most cases there is
no security issue.  Most of the time spam & email is blocked by IP
address and NOT by domain name (except in individual users' rules).

Also sounds like you have a "catch all" turned on...meaning ANYTHING
going to @haligonan.com goes to a specific address.  It would make sense
to disable this.  The only use (that I can think of, off the top of my
head) of a "catch all" is when transferring domain names from one system
to another, just to make sure you set up all of the users properly.

I don't know of any actions you can take to move them on.  Get a new
domain name and/or new email address is the best way to de-spam..and
don't give it out ANYWHERE.  Especially do not use your email address
when registering a domain name...and if possible...don't use your real
physical address.  It is highly likely that someone picked up your doman
name just by a random check of the domain registry, but your specific
email address can only be picked up where a trail is left.  Online forms
you fill out are another cause of this as well.

To summarize:
1. Turn off the "catch all"
2. If your main email account is getting a lot of spam...try to change
it if possible

Sounds like you already have some anti-spam software installed.  If not,
you mght look into SpamAssassin and especially look into "Bayesian
filtering"

-Phillip