Please help: Cannot start GNOME

Sheo S Prasad ssp at CreativeResearch.org
Fri Oct 8 05:54:56 UTC 2004

Just last week, I bought a dual-Opteron Workstation from a small vendor
who had installed the Fedora Core-2. It was working fine when the
workstation arrived.

For no reason at all, when I started the computer to day, I get this
message:

  "gnome-settings-daemon" has quit unexpectedly.

It then gives two options (1) ignore or (2) inform the developre.....".

Clicking the 'inform developers' button has not no apparent effect, and
freezes the computer.

Then I have to restart the computer. This time around I select "ignore"
. Then the message reappears and I keep ignoring. After a few
repeatitions, I get these messages:

"The panel has encountered a problem while loading OAFIID:
GNOME-Mixture Applet
Details: unknown CORBA exception id:
IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMMON-FALURE10

The message is followed by the question:
Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

Being ignorant of the consequences of the deletion, I say "do not delete".

After that the computer gets lost, and I am stuck.

Please help. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Sheo
(Sheo S. Prasad)