Re: OT: spammers are using my domain again

Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
On Fre, 2004-10-08 at 10:58 +0100, Phil Hannent wrote:

Trouble is that for many anti-virus packages the default is to notify
the sender.

For anti-virus vendors this is very cheap and effective advertising -
pretend to be a competent third party admin telling the user he has a
virus and should check his computer and tell him which vendor's software
you use.

Except that many recipients of such messages will think "ah, that's another stupid anti-virus product that can be configured (maybe even by default) to send virus notifications for viruses that are *known* to forge sender addresses; given that the software can have errors as elementary as that in it, I shan't be considering it for any anti-virus systems that I'll be implementing any time soon." This thought immediately being followed by a quick edit of the mail server's access database or equivalent to block any more such notifications from the same source.

Paul.