OT: spammers are using my domain again

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Fri Oct 8 11:59:58 UTC 2004

On October 8, 2004 6:48 am, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> Do you use SPF (http://spf.pobox.com) yet? I do and if only everybody
> else did as well this would effectively prevent forging domains.

Interesting. I have a small hitch: I send through my web hoster's smtp server
when my laptop is at school but when I'm at home, my local telco is the only
server I can successfully send through. So as I understand pobox, my web
hoster (who is a small company in Quebec) would have to keep track of my
local telco's servers (and they are in Nova Scotia) and keep the info updated
in the pobox records. For those who don't know the geography, there is
roughly 1,000 KM (600 miles) between the two places and the web hoster is
probably 1 or 2 people while the telco is 45,000 people.

> Make no assumptions, they are most certainly wrong, I thought that every
> admin should have learned by now that e-mail worms use forged sender
> addresses but I still get a lot of 'virus found in your mail - check
> your computer' messages.

Yeah, I get those too. And I only send mail from KMail and almost never log in
as root, which makes me extremely doubtful that I'm sending out email worms.

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com