File system fragmentation

What's the story with ext3 file fragmentation?  Are there any gain in
defragmenting the file system?  Does ext3 suffer from file
fragmentation?  I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I want
real-world opinions, not just suppositions.

The reason I ask is the performance of Evolution on my machine is
deteriorating as I accumulate more email.  I'm sure some of this is just
due to the size of my Inbox (170MB or so) and Evolution's handling of
it, but would a defragmenter help this at all?

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney interactsys com
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) Kernel: 2.6.8-1.521 GNU/Linux