File system fragmentation

Mark Haney mhaney at interactsys.com
Fri Oct 8 13:25:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 09:14, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 09:08 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> > What's the story with ext3 file fragmentation?

> >From what I can tell of previous conversations, the fragmentation is
> heavily dependant on free disk space.
>
> The less space available to the kernel when storing data, the higher the
> level of fragmentation.

> You can use filefrag to work out how fragmented a file is, which is
> handy for large files, no so handy for lots and lots of small files.
>
> May be not what you were after, but I hope it helps a bit.
>
> --
> Douglas Furlong
Yeah, it's a start.  I pretty much figured it was going to be the same
story as any other file system.  I push my systems hard.  And I have
lots of small files which doesn't really help.

Now, can anyone tell me if a defragmenter would help for ext3?  Or not?
It helps a ton with NTFS, but would the same thing happen to a linux fs?

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney at interactsys.com
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) Kernel: 2.6.8-1.521 GNU/Linux