Re: OT: spammers are using my domain again

On Fre, 2004-10-08 at 08:59 -0300, Trevor Smith wrote:
> Interesting. I have a small hitch: I send through my web hoster's smtp server
> when my laptop is at school but when I'm at home, my local telco is the only
> server I can successfully send through.

If I understand this correctly you have a domain and your web hoster
runs a smtp relay. That's fine, just list your hoster's smtp in the SPF
record. Someone may be able to forge mails from your domain though if
your hoster does not use some sort of authentication and/or restrict
relaying to your IP adresses.

If your telco at home does not permit you to connect to your hoster's
smtp relay I would send them a cease and desist request. Alternatively
you could add their smtp relay to your domain's SPF record but this way
you risk that your telco (keeps) reading your mail and some other
customer forges your sender address. Two very good reasons to choose
another provider.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Die Post ist eine Institution zur verteuerten Verlangsamung der
Briefzustellung mit dem Ziel der Selbstabholung gegen zehnfache GebÃhr.
          C. Northcote Parkinson