Digitally signed emails

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Fri Oct 8 15:00:57 UTC 2004

On October 8, 2004 11:24 am, James Marcinek wrote:

> I don't know what you're talking about 'top post' I replied to one of the

He means don't write an email in reply to an earlier email, quote (all) the
text from that earlier email and then write your reply *above* the quoted
text (that is, at the "top" of your posting).

I guess the rule of thumb is:

if you are referring to something in another email, quote only the relevant
part and comment on it *after* the quote (so it's clear what you're referring
to)

if you aren't referring to anything specific in that email, don't quote any of
it

It's a bandwidth/screenspace politeness issue, as I understand it.

> I'm using a web based application OpenGroupware (on ssl) with postfix and
> cyrus-imapd on the backend; however I could use either Outlook or Evolution
> to connect to. I wasn't sure if it was a server based method or on a client
> (such as you mentioned). However if a server based signing is possible I
> would prefer that.

I'm not sure about server based signing (actually I'm sure it's possible, but
am not sure about the details of setting it up) but doing it on your client
involves these general steps (feel free to let us know which of the steps
you're currently at):

1. set up GPG or some other OpenPGP compliant tool
(I'd reckon yum or apt or whatever you prefer is the best route here)

2. create a private/public keypair for yourself
(there should be good howtos on the GPG web site http://www.gnupg.org/
although I haven't read them and can't vouch that they're clear)

3. install any PGP/GPG plugins or addons or doodads that your mail client of
choice needs and has available for it (I use KMail and the GpgME backend
plugin)
(this was the tricky part for me and Kmail -- probably google "gpg plugin
kmail <or whatever client you use>)

4. configure your client to sign or not sign outgoing messages as you prefer
(obviously, see your client's docs)

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com