Anti-Virus Software ?

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Fri Oct 8 20:39:04 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 02:32:02PM -0500, John Thompson wrote:
>
>>exploits.  If this were true, however, we would expect that in markets
>>where Windows has less penetration -- e.g. internet severs, where
>>Windows servers comprise ~40% of the market -- that Windows should only
>>suffer ~40% of the exploits in this arena.  That is not what we see,
>>however: even with ~40% of the internet server market, Windows still
>>suffers ~95% of the significant exploits.  One can conclude from this
>>that Windows is inherently less secure than other platforms.

> One can conclude all sorts of things. :)
>
> But the one you've picked doesn't necessarily follow. 95% of desktop share
> might lead to increased incentive and ability to develop exploits, which
> then _happen_ to also work when the same OS is used in other markets --
> leading to more exploits there than you would expect by looking at that
> segment in a vacuum.

But the vast majority of desktop exploits involve Internet Explorer and
Outlook and/or Outlook Express.  Neither of these should be doing much
on internet *servers* and conversely, IIS and other Windows server
exploits should have little relevance to desktop users. So I think my
point still stands...

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)