Gnome file permissions

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Oct 8 21:54:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 17:30, Neo wrote:
> On a folder how can I set the permission on that folder and all items
> within that folder.
>
> E.G. I have a directory that is set to read only and in that directory
> there are loads of files and other directories with the same
> permissions. I want all these to be changed in one easy step via a gui.
> Right clicking seems to only change the highligted items. I cant see an
> option to say and all other items.
>
> all help would be great

I realize this is not via a gui but the easiest way to do what you want
is via command line.

chmod -R 700 directroyname

This will change permissions on all files and directories in the
directoryname to 700  (owner read/write/execute only).

Check the man page out for chmod to get the details on the permission
bits.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"Earth is a great, big funhouse without the fun."
		-- Jeff Berner