OT: spammers are using my domain again

Phillip T. George me at PhillipGeorge.com
Sat Oct 9 03:18:13 UTC 2004

Trevor Smith wrote:

>On October 8, 2004 5:27 pm, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
>

>>In the latter case, if your telco does not allow connections to foreign
>>smtp servers they do not provide full-featured internet access and you
>>should ask them to cease and desist or change your provider.
>>

>To recap:
>
>When I send from school (connected through my school's Internet connection), I
>connect to the mail server provided by my web/mail hoster
>(mail.haligonian.com) without problem.
>
>When I send from home (connected through my local telco's Internet connection,
>which I pay for) I can not connect to my web/mail hoster's smtp server. The
>error is "could not connect to host mail.haligonian.com".
>
>Is my telco filtering my access to my smtp server at haligonian.com? This is
>something that hadn't occurred to me (I assumed I had some glitch because I
>use an "unsupported OS").

Trevor,

Most likely your ISP is blocking outgoing (& incoming) port 25...SMTP.
Its a common and wise trend with ISPs.  They force you to use their
SMTP.  They don't want to get on spam lists is the reason why.  Its a
great idea.  You might contact your hosting service @haligonian.com and
see if they have an alternative SMTP port that you can use.  I
personally let my clients use port 2025, though 2525 is also a popular
choice.

-Phillip