cant mount drive

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Oct 9 19:46:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 01:41, Stuart Sears wrote:
> On Thu 7 October 2004 21:16, Thornton wrote:
> > I was trying to burn a cd this morning when I got this output error:
> >
> > System
> > -----------------------
> > K3b Version:0.11.14
> > KDE Version: 3.2.2-8.FC2 Red Hat
> > QT Version: 3.3.3
> >
> > cdrecord
> > -----------------------
> > scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
> > devname: '/dev/hdc'
> > scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> > Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> > Jörg Schilling
> > Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> > Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> > Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
> > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
> > Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
> > this version.
> > TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> > /usr/bin/cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hdc'.
> > Cannot open SCSI driver.
> > /usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> > /usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord
> > dev=help'.
> it hasn't actually burnt your cd, incidentally.
> It's complaining about /dev/hdc not being a valid device (as far as cdrecord
> is comcerned).
> which kernel are you running?
> [stuart at behemoth stuart]$ uname -r
> 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
>
> if it is 2.6.8 _downgrade_ to 2.6.7 or burn as root. noone else is able to
> with that kernel.

Not exactly, cdrecord is complaining about not having exclusive access.

On mine when I insert a blank CD it automatically loads the nautilus
cdcreator to burn a disk.  I have to close that b4 I can start a burn
using k3b.

> > What could be causing it to suddenly not be able to mount it.  I tried
> > to unmount and that gave me the same error as above, even tried
> > rebooting same thing, root gives me the same output as well.

I use gnome and nautilus gives the problem noted above.  Does KDE do the
same?

As stated below, you cannot mount a CD that has no filesystem on it.
You also cannot mount a CD with a filesystem on a device that is being
held by some other process (such as nautilus).