text vs html posts on this list...

Mike Noble mgnoble at cox.net
Sat Oct 9 21:23:59 UTC 2004

Charles Swarts wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 12:23:06 -0700, Mike Noble <mgnoble at cox.net> wrote:
>

>>>If you look at the monthly mailing list stats (posted not too long
>>>ago), you'll notice quite a few people still use text mode mail
>>>readers. I think mutt is in the top 4. Personally I think it makes my
>>>life easier to just deal with text. I don't care about fonts or
>>>background colors or smileys or graphics. Just give me the facts.
>>>

> The bottom line is that the culture here prefers plain text.  If you
> are here asking for help, then you need to do every thing you can to
> fit in and make it more desirable to answer your question.  If it
> causes people extra work, then they will skip it and move onto the

Charles,

The quote above was not mine.  :-)

I fully agree with what you say, if I get a message that is a bunch
of html code (I display is plain text), it is not worth it to me
to dig around in html code to see what the person is actually asking.
I know a lot of people who have filters setup to actually trash the
html message without even seeing it.

Mike
--
Usenix member  http://www.usenix.org