text vs html posts on this list...

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Oct 10 18:39:30 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 14:23:59 -0700,
  Mike Noble <mgnoble at cox.net> wrote:

> I fully agree with what you say, if I get a message that is a bunch
> of html code (I display is plain text), it is not worth it to me
> to dig around in html code to see what the person is actually asking.
> I know a lot of people who have filters setup to actually trash the
> html message without even seeing it.

One thing to note is that for multipart/alternative messages with both
text/plain and text/html, the text/html part is said to have preference
based on the order of the parts. However mutt allows you to override
this preference based on the content type. So that when someone sends
you a message like this, you can see the text/plain part instead of
the text/html part. My experience is that for messages that aren't spam,
multipart messages are a lot more common than single part text/html
messages.

For mailing lists I run, I just have text/html parts stripped out (and if
that doesn't leave anything the message is rejected).