SiS SATA PCI card problem with Kernels > 2.6.6

Malcolm Northcott mal42north at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 21:40:04 UTC 2004

I just bought a nice new SATA disk and a SiS SATA PCI card to drive it.
I installed Fedora 2 on a PATA drive with the intention of using the new
SATA disk for /home. (I was originally hoping to ditch all of my old
PATA drives). I eventually managed to get the SATA
drive mounted (from /dev/sda) using the Fedora Kernel 2.6.6. The SiS
controller is using interrupt 11 in this configuration.
I found that kernels 2.6.7 and 2.6.8 will not boot with this hardware.
I get a message complaining about interrupt 11 suggesting I turn off
acpi (already disabled in grub.conf). After this message the kernel
turns off interrupt 11 and hangs while trying to initialize the SATA
disk. Has anyone else seen this problem, and/or know of a fix.

Perhaps not surprisingly the Fedora core 3 test 2 installation hangs
just after identifying the SATA drive and spraying some garbage on
screen.
		Mal.