Re: Software RAID Mirror Problem

Chris Ford wrote:

Good afternoon all.  I have a question about a broken
software RAID mirror.  I had a two disk mirror of my
boot drive that has / /boot /usr and /var on it.  The
disks are IDE.  I lost the primary drive in the
mirror, but can still mount the secondary drive if I
boot from CD.  If I make the secondary drive primary
and try to boot it, it says "Error Loading OS"  Is
there any way to boot from the secondary drive and
recreate the mirror with a new disk?  Thanks...

Chris

Make the surviving drive primary. Boot linux rescue from cd, allowing it to find and mount your filesystems, which it will do under /mnt/sysimage.
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub install
exit # the chroot shell
exit

Boot normally.

Of course then you still need to re-establish mirrors on a new disk. If you need help with that too let me know.

Chris

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021